This homemade creamy pumpkin ice cream is just what fall ordered! So how did we make a creamy ice cream that is dairy-free and eggless? Stick around to find out!
I am not one for consuming a lot of spiced ice creams, but around Halloween, I get a craving for pumpkin ice cream that lasts through Thanksgiving.
The trickiest part of making a great pumpkin ice cream is enhancing it with spice versus ruining it with spice.
For pumpkin pie spice you want a firm spice flavor and aroma, similar to a pumpkin pie, but not overdone.
You can use pumpkin pie spice from the store or make one yourself. Jump down to the FAQ to learn how to make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice!
I have found a perfect ice cream base that is dairy-free and eggless. In a blender, we combine raw cashews, coconut milk, maple syrup, and highlight pumpkin. This ice cream base will work with any flavor profile!
You will be amazed just how creamy and delicious this ice cream is! Let me know in the comment section how you like it!
why is this homemade creamy pumpkin ice cream so good?
- Coconut milk is blended with raw cashews to make this ice cream dairy-free
- The perfect amount of warming spices showcase the classic pumpkin pie flavor
- Maple syrup replaces granulated sugar to make this recipe refined-sugar free
- Cashews - make sure to use raw and unsalted cashews
- Coconut milk - only use full-fat coconut milk. The higher fat content makes this recipe so creamy
- Maple syrup - I like to buy mine at Costco. It's high-quality maple syrup.
- Vanilla - Pair very well with maple syrup and pumpkin
- Pumpkin - Use 100% pumpkin with no spices added
- Pumpkin Pie Spice - Blend of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg
- Salt - For flavor!
How to make my homemade creamy pumpkin ice cream
2. Blend on high for 45 seconds, or until the ice cream base is smooth.
3. Transfer the smooth ice cream base to a frozen ice cream bowl attachment. In this case, I am using the KitchenAid ice cream attachment.
4. Churn for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin ice cream looks thick and creamy
5. Transfer ice cream into an airtight container. I like to use bread loaf pans that I wrap thoroughly with plastic wrap.
6. Freeze the ice cream for at least 8 hours before serving. Enjoy
Hint: Be mindful of how much pumpkin pie spice you use. A little bit goes a long way and can overpower the flavor.
- Dates - Following the Whole30 diet? Swap out the maple syrup for fresh dates. Used ¼ cup of chopped dates, and blend thoroughly with the coconut milk.
- Butternut Squash - Make a butternut squash puree if you can't get your hands on canned pumpkin. Peel, chop, and steam the squash until tender. Blend in a high-speed blender or food processor until smooth.
- Almond milk - don't like coconut milk? Replace with the same amount of almond milk.
Place ice cream into an air-tight container and freeze. Homemade ice cream can last for 1-2 weeks in the freezer. Worry not, this recipe is so delicious, and it will only last a few days.
Freezing ice cream into smaller sealed containers can prolong the shelf life. Smaller containers mean less ambient air, preventing freezer burn.
- Make your pumpkin puree. Canned pumpkin can be hard to come by during the holiday season. If you can get your hands on PUMPKIN PIE PUMPKINS, do it! Cut pumpkins in half to remove seeds and roast in a 350-degree oven for 1 hour. Peel away skin and puree in a food processor or blender.
- Pumpkin pie spice is easy to make. The advantage of making your spice blend is having control of the freshness and spices. Mix 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon allspice.
- Blend until smooth. Cashew and coconut milk combine to create a creamy texture. Tiny bits of cashews are not welcome here.
- Freeze all ice cream attachments. Everything thing needs to be ice cold to churn ice cream.
- Store ice cream in an air-tight container. Freezer burn is the number one enemy to ice cream. Smaller air-tight containers can prolong the life of ice cream.
Almonds, walnuts, and pecans add a wonderful crunch. Unsweetened chocolate chips or chunks will please any chocolate lover.
Canned pumpkin is a mixture of winter squashes like butternut, golden delicious, and Hubbard. Making your own pumpkin puree is a great option. Be sure to use pumpkin pie pumpkins for the best flavor.
Combination of the holiday warming spices that are so delicious around the holidays. Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
More dessert recipes
Homemade Creamy Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 24 hours before making ice cream freeze your ice cream maker bowl.
- In a blender combine coconut milk, cashews, maple syrup, pumpkin, salt, vanilla, and spices.
- Blend on high for 1 minutes or until smooth.
- Transfer ice cream base into the ice cream maker bowl. Churn for 20 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Transfer to a loaf pan or air-tight container and freeze for at least 8 hours.