Fresh Strawberry Margaritas on the rocks is summertime in a glass! The perfect strawberry syrup yields a margarita bright in color and flavor. A splash of Grand Marnier makes this cocktail a Cadillac Margarita!
Summertime brings happy vibes, and what's better than strawberry margaritas? Fresh strawberries make the best cocktails!
We turned this summer sipper into a Cadillac Margarita with the addition of Grand Marnier. The sweet orange flavor of this liquor is so divine!
To create the ultimate strawberry margaritas on the rocks, I have tested this recipe many times. I was looking for the right color, flavor, and texture.
Making a strawberry simple syrup is the way to go. We steep fresh strawberries in equal parts honey to water. Yes, this recipe is Paleo!
Not only is this the best margarita, but it's also a great way to utilize fresh strawberries. It's a win, win!
Why You'll love this recipe
- The strawberry syrup is perfect in color, texture, and flavor! The strawberry flavor comes through in this recipe.
- The combination of flaked sea salt, lime zest, and honey crystals make the BEST salted rim!
- No blender is needed. You can make this margarita in a glass or cocktail shaker!
Make sure to pick up these strawberry margarita ingredients. In fact, keep them on hand all summer long.
- Strawberries - In season from late March through July
- Honey Crystals - Dried crystal granules produce from liquid honey
- Grand Marnier - Orange liquor perfect for Cadillac Margaritas
- Tequila - Buy a good quality Blanco tequila. Costco is a great place to shop for your Tequila.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make strawberry margaritas on the rocks
Making this margarita is so easy, here's how to make it:
Step 1: Combine honey, water, and sliced strawberries in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Step 2: Strain syrup through a fine-mesh strainer. Do not press the strawberries, let gravity do the work for you.
Step 3: Combine sugar, salt, and limes zest together in a shallow plate or dish. Run a lime wedge around the rim of a glass and coat with sugar and salt.
Step 4: Muddle fresh strawberries in a cocktail shaker or glass.
Step 5: Add Grand Marnier, lime juice, syrup, tequila, and ice, and shake.
Step 6: Pour margarita mix over ice and garnish with limes, strawberries, and mint.
Strawberries - If fresh strawberries are not in season, frozen will work just fine. Try out other fruits like watermelon and mangoes.
Tequila - For a smoky flavor, try using Mezcal.
Grand Marnier - Triple Sec, Cointreau, or fresh orange juice.
How to make your own premade margaritas
You can make a strawberry margarita for one or for a crowd. I like to make a large batch.
You can increase the volume of this recipe and place the margarita mix into mason jars and freeze.
To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and pour into a salted rimmed margarita glass. Don't forget the sliced limes and mint of course!
- Buy strawberries in season for the best flavor. If you want to make this recipe when they are not in season, use frozen strawberries.
- Freeze your leftover margarita mix. I like to make large batches since my family and friends drink Margaritas all summer. Transfer to sizeable mouthed mason jars and freeze.
- Don't add too much Grand Marnier. The sweet orange flavor is delicious, but you can overpower the margarita.
- Let gravity strain the simple strawberry syrup. Pressing the steeped strawberry will make your syrup cloudy.
- Use a good quality tequila for a yummy margarita. You don't need to buy the most expensive tequila on the shelf but don't buy the cheapest either. Costco sells good quality Blanco Tequila.
- When in doubt, strain it out. After shaking my margarita in a cocktail shaker, I pass it through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any seeds or clumps.
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of your margarita glass. This will help the sugar, salt, and lime mixture to stick.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this is a great way to upgrade store-bought margarita mixes. Muddle a few strawberries in a cocktail shaker and add margarita mix and ice. Shake and pour into prepared glasses.
Option 1: Muddle strawberries in a cocktail shaker. Combine all ingredients and shake and strain into prepared glasses.
Option 2: Place all ingredients into a blender with a handful of ice. Blend until smooth and pour into prepared glasses.
Strawberries, agave or simple syrup, strawberries, lime juice, and tequila. You can upgrade your margarita by adding strawberry syrup and Grand Marnier.
On the rocks means over ice. Margaritas are served frozen and blended or on the rocks.
It all depends on the mix make sure to read the label. Kirkland margarita mix comes ready to go. Other brands are just the sweet and sour mix and require tequila.
Fresh Strawberry Margaritas On The Rocks
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1 ½ cup strawberries sliced
Strawberry Simple Syrup
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine water, honey, and sliced strawberries.
- Bring syrup mixture to a simmer and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Strain strawberry syrup through a fine-mesh strainer. Don't press strawberries, it will make the syrup cloudy. Place it inside the refrigerator until you need it.
Sugar and Salt Mixture
- Mix honey crystals, salt, and lime zest and place them on a small plate.
- Take a lime wedge and run it around the rim of your margarita glass.
- Roll the rim of the margarita glass in the sugar and salt mixture. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle 2 strawberries to release their juices.
- Pour in tequila, lime juice, strawberry syrup, Grand Marnier, and ice cubes. Shake until the cocktail shaker is very cold.
- Pour into prepared glasses with ice cubes and garnish with limes, strawberries, and mint.
- I like to make a large batch of margarita mix, transfer it into mason jars, and freeze.
- When straining the simple syrup don't press on the strawberries, it will make it cloudy.
- If you don't have Grand Marnier a splash of orange juice will do the trick.
- Fresh strawberries are in season from the end of March through July. Buy frozen strawberries if they are not in season.
- If you don't have a cocktail shaker and glass jar with a lid will work. Just make sure to have a fine-mesh strainer.