Our homemade passion fruit ice cream is vegan, dairy-free, and paleo-friendly. This recipe packs an extreme tropical passion fruit flavor! It takes only 5 ingredients to create this ice cream masterpiece!
Our ice cream recipes have no eggs because cashews add a creamy texture. By the way, if you are an ice cream lover like me, check out my mint chocolate chip and pumpkin ice creams!
Over the summer, I was fortunate enough to come across an endless supply of passion fruits. Make sure to try my passion fruit iced tea recipe to quench your thirst.
The ice cream craze right now is NO CHURN ice cream. I attempted to make a no-churn passion fruit ice cream, but for the best texture, you need to make this recipe in an ice cream maker. Here is the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment I use if you're interested.
Most no-churn ice creams use sweetened condensed milk for their high-fat and sugar content. We wanted to take a healthier approach to ice cream since most of our viewers are Whole30, Vegan, and Paleo eaters.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Passion fruit ice cream is creamy and delicious. Raw cashews are blended with coconut milk, maple syrup, and passion fruit juice for the perfect texture.
- This ice cream is easy to make with only 5 ingredients. Pour all ingredients into a high-speed blender and churn in your ice cream maker.
- Passion fruit has a sweet and tart flavor. You will feel like you are on a tropical island while you enjoy this ice cream flavor.
Here is a list of ingredients your will need to make a passion fruit ice cream dessert.
- Passion Fruit - the outside gets purple and wrinkly when ripe
- Cashews - raw cashews create a creamy texture, no eggs are needed
- Coconut milk - use full-fat coconut milk
- Maple syrup - is used to make this recipe vegan-friendly
- Banana - pair perfectly with passion fruits
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make passion fruit ice cream
Making fresh passion fruit ice cream is so easy, here's how to make it!
Step 1: Cut open passion fruits and strain juice through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the seeds.
Step 2: Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until you have a smooth texture.
Step 3: Pour the ice cream base into your ice cream maker. Use your owner's manual for directions on churning the ice cream. Mine took 25-30 minutes.
Step 4: Transfer ice cream into a loaf pan or ice cream container and freeze.
Banana - Strawberries, guava, and mango pair well with passionfruit.
Maple syrup - other sweeteners are honey, sugar, and dates.
Passion fruit pairs well with many types of fruit, here are a few examples.
Ice cream is best if consumed within one week. Ice cream can last longer, but the texture will change over time.
Store ice cream in an airtight container to prevent ice burn. Here is the ice cream container I use if you are interested.
- Taste your ice cream base before churning. Passion fruits vary in sweetness, so you may need to add more sweetener.
- Pour ice cream base through a fine-mesh strainer to remove any bits of cashews, giving you a silky-smooth texture.
- Make sure the ice cream base is cold before churning. Place into the refrigerator until cold to the touch.
- Freeze ice cream for a minimum of 12 hours for the perfect texture.
- Freeze your ice cream bowl before churning your ice cream mixture.
- Reserve a small amount of passion fruit seeds for garnish.
Frequently Asked Questions
I love toppings on my passion fruit ice cream. Strawberry coulis, mango coulis, chocolate shavings, and toasted coconut are a few options.
No, there are a lot of no-churn recipes, but they require condensed milk which is not vegan and paleo compliant.
Yes, I like to get a lot of passion fruit when it's in season and freeze the pulp. You can also buy frozen passion fruit concentrate in grocery stores.
Try these recipes too...
Did you make this recipe? Please click the stars below to comment and rate this recipe. Make sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, too!
Vegan Passion Fruit Ice Cream
- ¾ cup cashews
- 15 ounce coconut milk full-fat
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup passion fruit juice 6-8 passion fruits
- 1 banana frozen
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place a strainer over a bowl. Halve passion fruits and scoop out the pulp with a spoon. Collect enough juice to equal ½ cup. Reserve a small amount of seeds for garnish.
- Place cashews, maple syrup, coconut milk, banana, passion fruit, and salt in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour ice cream base through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Pour this mixture into your ice cream machine, following the instructions that came with the machine. My KitchenAid attachment took 25 minutes of churning.
- Transfer to an ice cream container and freeze for 12 hours.
- If your passion fruits are on the tart side and you like your ice cream sweeter, add another ¼ cup of maple syrup.
- All ice cream machines are different, refer to the manufactures instructions on how long to churn your ice cream.
- Strain the ice cream base after blending for a smooth texture.
Making this recipe expanded my taste for ice cream. Passion fruit ice cream is sweet and tart. You will feel like you are on a tropical island enjoying this ice cream treat!
Can u use something instead of coconut milk? I hate coconut.
Yes, replace the coconut milk with your milk of choice. Almond milk, cashew milk, or macadamia nut milk will work. If you like dairy whole milk or heavy cream will make nice and creamy ice cream.