These air fryer crispy sweet potato cubes are perfectly seasoned! Making them a quick and easy side dish for Jerk Chicken or breakfast potatoes. Whole30 and Paleo too.
Sweet potatoes have to be one of my favorite root vegetables! Sweet, healthy, and filling. They are a lifesaver if you are on a Whole30 round. Looking for a healthy breakfast option? Try my Sweet Potato Hash with Bacon! It's Whole30 and Paleo approved.
Roasted sweet potatoes are the best! Cut them into cubes, fries, or even wedges. Roasting at a high temp brings out the natural sugars. Can you say YUM!
To achieve the ultimate crispy sweet potato cube, we will be using the air fryer. It will allow us to roast sweet potatoes quickly.
Why this recipe works
- Sweet potatoes are Whole30 and Paleo friendly, keeping you full in between meals.
- Quick and Easy. Crispy sweet potatoes in only 12 minutes. Thanks, air fryer!
- This spud is so versatile and loves any spice or flavor! Cut them into cubes, fries, and wedges. Top salads, tacos, or enjoy as a healthy snack.
- sweet potatoes - cut into ½ inch pieces
- spices - cinnamon and chili powder spice things up
- avocado oil - high temp oils like coconut oil or avocado oil are the best
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make this recipe
Making air fryer crispy sweet potato cubes is so easy, here's how to make it:
Step 1: Peel sweet potatoes and square off the ends.
Step 2: Cut into 1- inch planks. I like to square off one side of the sweet potatoes, so it doesn't roll on me.
Step 3: Cube sweet potatoes into ½-inch pieces. A shape 8-inch chef knife works the best.
Step 4: In a large bowl toss potatoes, seasonings, and oil.
Step 5: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Play sweet potatoes cubes in a single layer, spacing them out. You will need to cook them in batches to avoid overcrowding the basket.
Step 6: Cook for 12 minutes. Shake the basket at the halfway mark (6 minutes). Sweet potatoes should have a crispy exterior and a soft interior.
How to cut sweet potatoes for roasting
Cutting sweet potatoes into cubes is so easy, here's how to do it:
- Peel and square of top and bottom end with a knife.
- Slice into ½ inch planks.
- Cut each plank into ½ in cubes.
Swaps and Substitutions
- White sweet potatoes and butternut squash make for a tasty alternative.
- Pick an oil with a high smoking point. Avocado and coconut oils are the best options.
- Play with spices like cinnamon, cumin, curry powder, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, etc...
- Paleo - 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, honey, or coconut sugar will make these sweet potatoes extra delicious.
Sweet potato cubes should be consumed right away for a crispy texture.
Refrigerator - Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Reheating Instructions - Place sweet potatoes into a hot pan with a tiny bit of avocado oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until hot.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket. Cook in 2-3 batches for optimal crispiness!
- Eat sweet potatoes right away, or they will get soft.
- Preheat the air fryer to speed up the cooking process. Set the air fryer to 400 degrees for five minutes, and you're ready to go.
- Give the air fryer basket a shake at the halfway mark.
- Check out this air fryer cheat sheet for detailed cooking times.
Frequently asked questions
The decision is up to you. Sweet potato skins are safe to eat and packed with healthy nutrients.
There is no need to parboil sweet potatoes before roasting. Roasting in a hot oven or air fryer will make them crispy and tender.
No, you don't have to soak sweet potatoes in water before air frying. Sweet potatoes don't have as much starch as regular potatoes.
Other recipes you might love...
Air Fryer Crispy Sweet Potato Cubes
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes into ½- inch pieces.
- In a large bowl combine cubed sweet potatoes, oil, and seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Place the sweet potato cubes in a single layer, and cook for 12 minutes. Shake the basket at the halfway point. (Cook in batches if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss sweet potatoes with oil and seasonings.
- Spread evenly onto a sheet pan and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer. Cook in batches for a crispy texture.
- Serve sweet potato cubes right away or they will become soft.
- Preheat the air fryer to speed up the cooking process.