Try our Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts recipe for a crispy and delicious side dish. In just 10 minutes, you'll savor the ultimate autumn side dish.
Many of us grew up loathing Brussels Sprouts for a good reason. They were often overcooked and bland! This tiny cabbage is delicious when crisped up in the air fryer.
This fall vegetable is so versatile and delicious when prepared the right way. You can toss in olive oil and grate fresh parmesan cheese on it. Or roast in the oven or air fryer with bacon or pancetta.
Brussels sprouts like to be sweet and savory so a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, or even pomegranate molasses is truly divine.
We par-boil the Brussels Sprouts and flatten them with the bottom of a mason jar. Smashing Brussels sprouts and roasting them in the air fryer allows their edges to caramelize.
We finish the sprouts off with a grating of parmesan cheese. Serve with your favorite sauce like our Everything But Bagel Dressing.
⭐️ Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Perfect Holiday Side Dish: This recipe is a crowd-pleaser, and people will be amazed by how delicious Brussels Sprouts can taste. Serve with our Beetroot and Butternut Squash Salad for the holidays!
- Caramelized Edges: By smashing the Brussels Sprouts you can enjoy a crispy texture that everyone will love.
- Cooks in 10 Minutes: Enjoy perfectly caramelized Smashed Brussels Sprouts in only 10 minutes.
📝 Ingredient Notes
Here is a visual overview of the ingredients in this recipe. Scroll to the recipe at the bottom for quantities.
- Brussels Sprouts - Fresh Brussels Sprouts have a better taste and texture. If you can't find fresh, frozen Brussels Sprouts will work too.
- Parmesan Cheese - Adds a touch of nutty flavor that pairs perfectly with this cruciferous vegetable. Parmesan cheese is slightly salty, giving the Brussels Spouts a natural seasoning.
🥘 Substitutions & Variations
- Bacon: A popular way to cook these mini cabbages is by roasting them with bacon for a delicious flavor!
- Sweeteners: Drizzle with a balsamic glaze or maple syrup for a sweet and savory flavor.
- Infused Oils: Make a garlic-parmesan oil by mixing minced garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper together.
- Nuts: Toasted walnuts, chestnuts, and hazelnuts pair perfectly with this air-fried vegetable.
- Sweet and Spicy: Enjoy sweet and spicy Brussels Sprouts with a mixture of soy sauce, garlic, honey, hoisin sauce, and sesame oil.
- Make it Vegan: Swap the parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast for a dairy-free option.
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
Step 1: Boil Brussels Sprouts in a large pot of salted water for 10 minutes or until fork tender.
Step 2: Transfer Brussels Spouts to an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Drain and then pat dry with paper towels.
Step 3: Smash Brussels Sprouts on a flat surface like a cutting board or a baking tray with a heavy-duty mason jar.
Step 4: Toss Brussels Sprouts with avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Place them inside of an air fryer basket, spacing them apart so they don't touch.
Step 5: Cook Brussels Sprouts for 10 minutes at 400°F/204°C, flipping at the hallway point. They are done when the edges are golden brown and crispy.
Tip- You can also microwave them if you prefer. Put the sprouts in a microwave-safe bowl add half a cup of water and let them cook for 4-6 minutes.
⏲ Oven Instructions
So you don't have an air fryer? You can still make these low-carb vegetables in the oven. We just need to make some small adjustments to the time and temperature to ensure crispy smashed Brussels Sprouts.
Start off by parboiling them in boiling water for 10 minutes or until fork tender. Smash them flat with a heavy-duty mason jar and pat dry. Then spread them on a parchment-lined baking tray.
Roast in a 425°F/218°C oven for 15-20 minutes or until the edges become nice and crispy.
👨🏻🍳 Chef Tips
- Make sure Brussels Sprouts are tender before smashing them. We boil them for 10 minutes, but it's all dependent on the size of the vegetable. A knife should be able to cut through without any resistance.
- Set up an ice water bath to chill down the Brussels Sprouts and stop the cooking process.
- Use a sturdy glass jar (mason jar) to smash the Brussels Spouts.
- There should not be touching inside the air fryer basket. This will allow enough space for proper airflow, resulting in a crispy texture.
- Pick Brussels Sprouts uniform in size so they cook evenly.
To achieve a crispy texture, it's important to flatten the Brussels sprouts thinly, ensuring they achieve a delightful crispiness in either the oven or an air fryer. Aim for uniform thickness when smashing them to avoid the risk of overcooking some while others remain undercooked.
If you are down an air fryer, you can easily prepare this dish in the oven! By making a few adjustments to the time and temperature. Follow the same initial steps, but for oven preparation, bake them at 425°F for 15-20 minutes or until the edges and tops become crispy and golden brown.
Smashed Brussels sprouts make a tasty side dish that pairs well with main courses like Crispy Air Fryer Whole Chicken and Sous Vide Ribeye Steak. They are the perfect side dish to serve on special holidays like Thanksgiving.
Just spread them out evenly on a baking sheet or in an air fryer basket, at 350°F for 5 minutes or until heated through. Once they're out, you'll find that they're piping hot and perfectly crispy all around.
Yes! Begin by placing the cooked sprouts in an airtight container or a sealable bag. Allow them to cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Store them in the fridge for 3-4 days.
🍽 Related Recipes
Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- Prepare the sprouts by trimming the ends and, if necessary, discarding the outer leaves.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil add in the Brussels Sprouts, allowing them to cook for 10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Transfer them to an ice bath and allow them to chill to stop the cooking process. Drain them and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place on a baking tray and flatten the Brussels Sprouts with a mason jar. Preheat your air fryer to 400°F/204°C for 2 minutes.
- Toss smashed Brussels Sprouts with avocado oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer into an air fryer basket, giving them enough space so they don't touch.
- Cook in the air fryer for 5 minutes, then flip. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and crispy.