These slow-roasted tomatoes are so delicious they will elevate your salad and pasta game to new heights. Roma tomatoes, fresh thyme, olive oil, salt, and pepper are all you need to transform these tomatoes into something special!
One of my first jobs was as a cook at a restaurant in wine country. We always had slow-roasted tomatoes on the menu and used them in many different ways. We would put them on pizza, pasta, and salads.
When you go grocery shopping, do you buy way too many veggies? Do they go to waste? Well, the great thing with tomatoes is when they start turning to the dark side, you can rescue them by slow roasting them.
To be honest, I am not a big fan of tomatoes when they are raw and acidic. Unless they are from my garden because vine-ripened tomatoes are AMAZING! No, I am talking about those supermarket tomatoes that have no flavor at all. Slow-roasting, your tomatoes dry them out and bring out the natural sugar in the tomato. These tomatoes are so sweet, and delicious. I am pretty sure you will put them in just about everything!
What you need to make this recipe
- Roma tomatoes - You can use any variety of tomatoes for this recipe.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- It is important to use extra virgin because you want a strong flavor. Also, it contains heart-healthy fats.
- Thyme - Is a floral herb that is used commonly in Italian food. Thyme, and extra virgin olive oil, are a classic combination.
- Salt, and pepper - To make all the flavors pop!
How to make slow-roasted tomatoes
- Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Cut Roma tomatoes in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out the tomato flesh, and discard.
- In a large bowl toss tomatoes, olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Place tomatoes on a parchment-lined baking tray facing cut side up. Bake for 3 hours and enjoy!
- Roast tomatoes at a low oven temperature so the tomatoes will dry out and get nice and sweet.
- Make sure that the tomatoes are seasoned evenly. I like to season the inside of the tomatoes with a little bit more fresh thyme before I put them in the oven.
- You will know the tomatoes are done when the edges of the Roma tomato shrinks in size. The edges will start to curl.
- Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil. Remember, tomatoes love olive oil, and thyme. So spoil them!
- Make sure to use fresh cracked black pepper. Pre-ground black pepper is old, and who knows when it was ground. This recipe is all about freshness.
Frequently asked questions
HOW TO USE SLOW ROASTED TOMATOES?
Top a pizza with oven dried tomatoes, roasted fennel, and Italian sausage. You can also add the tomatoes to any salad or pasta dish.
HOW LONG WITH THE LAST IN THE REFRIGERATOR?
They will last for 1 week in the refrigerator. Trust me these tomatoes are so good they won't last a week!
CAN YOU ADD DIFFERENT HERBS?
Absolutely! Garlic and any herbs go perfectly with oven-roasted tomatoes. If you really want a homerun, make garlic and herb-infused olive oil and roast your tomatoes in that. OMG!!Print
With only 5 ingredients, these slow-roasted tomatoes are flavor bombs! You can use these tomatoes in so many different ways. Throw them in your favorite pasta, appetizer, or salad. YUM!
Slow-roast tomatoes until the edges start to curl in. Most ovens with cook the tomatoes in 2 ½- 3 hours.
Make sure to keep the oven at a low temperature. If the oven is at 350 degrees or higher, you may burn them.
Keywords: slow-roasted tomatoes, tomatoes, Italian