Instant pot buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes is the ultimate quick and easy go-to dinner! The spicy buffalo chicken pairs perfectly with a sweet potato. Top it all off with your favorite non-dairy ranch dressing. This recipe is so easy to throw together. I would not be surprised if you make this recipe once a week!
When I started my Whole 30 journey, I noticed buffalo sauce was everywhere. I mean, who doesn't like chicken wings, right? I truly believed this sauce was unhealthy. I was dumbfounded to discover buffalo sauce is sugar-free!
With the help of an instant pot, this meal comes together in only 20 minutes! A trivet allows you to cook the sweet potatoes and chicken at the same time. Also, clean-up is a breeze since everything is in one pot.
Leftover buffalo chicken is perfect for my Buffalo Chicken Salad topped with Whole30 Ranch Dressing!
- What makes buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes so good
- How to make instant pot buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes
- How to make buffalo chicken in a slow cooker
- How to make the perfect sweet potatoes in the oven
- How to store and reheat buffalo chicken
- Pro tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Give these recipes a try...
- 📖 Recipe
What makes buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes so good
- Dinner is ready in only 20 minutes! Only a pressure cooker can give you tender pull-apart chicken in 20 minutes.
- Sweet potatoes and chicken are done at the same time. With the help of a trivet rack, you can pressure cook chicken and potatoes together in the same pot. How awesome is that?
- My buffalo chicken is Whole30 and Paleo approved! This was one of my go-to recipes during a Whole30 month.
- chicken breast - I like to use breast meat, but chicken thighs work as well
- ghee - butter with the milk solids removed for a dairy-free option
- sweet potatoes - choose potatoes uniform in size, so they cook evenly
- buffalo sauce - a combination of hot sauce and butter, in this case, ghee
- green onions - for garnish and that onion bite
- ranch dressing - make my whole30 ranch dressing for a delicious sauce!
How to make instant pot buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes
Step 1: Place chicken breast, ghee, and buffalo sauce into an instant pot.
Step 2: Place a trivet over the chicken breast. Wash sweet potatoes under running water, and poke with a fork. Place potatoes onto the trivet. Secure with the lid and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Manually release the pressure and transfer the sweet potatoes to a plate.
Step 3: Transfer the chicken breast to a bowl or plate and shred the meat using two forks. Place chicken back inside the instant pot and turn on the saute function. Cook for 5 minutes, allowing the liquid to reduce and coat the chicken. Add more buffalo sauce if you like a kick.
Step 4: Open up sweet potatoes and stuff them with buffalo chicken. Drizzle with ranch dressing and garnish with green onions. Enjoy!
How to make buffalo chicken in a slow cooker
If you don't have an instant pot, break out your slow cooker. Place chicken, buffalo sauce, and ghee inside. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Remove chicken and shred with two forks, and place chicken back into the slow cooker to soak up the delicious sauce.
How to make the perfect sweet potatoes in the oven
Wash potatoes under cool running water and pat dry. Poke with a fork several times and wrap individually in foil. Place onto a parchment-lined baking tray. Transfer to a 400- degree oven for 1 hour.
Sweet Potatoes - You can use any type of potato for this recipe. Russet potatoes, yams, or Hannah white sweet potatoes.
Chicken - Swap out breast meat for boneless chicken thighs.
Garnishes - Avocado, celery, and carrots make great sweet potato toppers.
Vegan - Replace chicken with a can of chickpeas. Warm buffalo sauce on the stove with a can of chickpeas. Stuff into sweet potatoes and use a vegan ranch dressing.
How to store and reheat buffalo chicken
How to store: Place stuffed sweet potatoes in a glass airtight container and refrigerate for 3-5 days. I like to keep the ranch dressing and green onions on the side.
How to reheat: Place sweet potatoes on a large dinner plate. Lay a damp paper towel over the top and microwave on 70 % power for 5 minutes or until hot. Drizzle with ranch dressing and green onions.
How to freeze: I love to make a large batch of buffalo chicken and freeze it for future meals. Cooldown to room temperature and place in a glass airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Make sure the sweet potatoes are the same size. You want evenly cooked sweet potatoes.
- Cook a large amount of chicken in your crockpot or instant pot. Buffalo chicken freezes well and transforms into many great dishes.
- Cook your sweet potatoes in advance. Bake them off a day before and reheat them in the microwave.
- Meal prep this recipe! A great option for weekly meal prep.
- Let sweet potatoes rest for 10 minutes before serving. After removing potatoes from the instant pot, it may feel hard. Let them relax for 10 minutes, and they will become nice and soft.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken breast takes 8-10 minutes for fresh chicken breast and 10-12 minutes for frozen chicken breast. I cook mine for 20 minutes to make sure the chicken is super tender.
Yes, frozen chicken can be cooked in an instant pot. Frozen chicken takes a few more minutes than fresh chicken. Cook frozen chicken for 10-12 minutes on high pressure.
This sauce was first created in Buffalo, NY by Teressa Bellissimo in 1964 at Anchor Bay, Buffalo, New York. She was experimenting with different hot sauces to put on her chicken wings.
Buffalo sauce is made up of hot sauce, butter, spices, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce.
Give these recipes a try...
Did you make this recipe? Please click the stars below to comment and rate this recipe. Make sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, too!
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes
- 1 ½ pounds of chicken breast
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ¼ cup ghee
- 4 medium-size sweet potatoes
- ½ cup Ranch Dressing
- ¼ cup green onions sliced
- Add the chicken, ghee, and buffalo sauce to the instant pot.
- Wash the sweet potatoes under cold running water. Poke them a few times with a fork to help them cook evenly.
- Place the wire rack or trivet above the chicken. Set your sweet potatoes on top of the wire rack. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure from the instant pot. Remove potatoes and transfer them to a plate.
- Pull apart chicken breast with two forks until it looks like pulled chicken.
- Set your instant pot to saute and cook for 5 minutes to reduce the buffalo sauce and coat the chicken. Add a little more buffalo sauce if you like it spicier.
- Cut open the sweet potatoes and fill them with buffalo chicken.
- Drizzle with ranch dressing and sliced green onions.
- Serve with celery sticks and a side of ranch dressing.
- Make my Whole30 Ranch Dressing to put on top of the sweet potatoes. It's so easy and delicious!
- You can use chicken breast or chicken thighs for this recipe.
- I like to add a bit more buffalo sauce at the end for a creamy texture and spicy flavor.