This healthy creamy butternut squash soup is perfect for a cool fall day! Roasting butternut squash in the oven gives the soup a naturally sweet flavor. I have a feeling you will be making this recipe every fall since it's so easy and delicious.
It's truly my favorite time of year because I love soup! Even though I could eat soup all year long, there is something about colder weather that makes me crave soup. Roasting butternut squash in the oven gives this warm dish a naturally sweet flavor. Every fall I crave three things: Pumpkin beer, pumpkin spice lattes, and butternut squash soup. When the weather starts to cool down, I love to fill my kitchen with the smells and flavors of fall. The aroma of roasted butternut squash and fresh sage provides a cozy and warm abode.
There are so many variations you can do with butternut squash soup. Consider this a base recipe and add to it what you like. Curry, ginger, and apple are a few ingredients you can add. However, I wanted to share a traditional and simple approach.
What you'll need for this recipe
- Butternut squash - Roasting the squash brings out a natural sweetness that makes this soup so dreamy!
- Ghee - What's more fall than butter and sage?
- Sage - A nice and savory herb that pairs well with butternut squash.
- Onions, carrots, and celery - In any soup. This combination is what creates the layers of flavors.
- Garlic - Adds a nutty and mild flavor.
- Chicken Stock - This is the base for the soup.
- Pomegranate seeds, pepita seeds, crema - Garnish soup with your favorite toppings.
How to make this healthy creamy butternut squash soup
- Cut and roast squash in a 350-degree oven for 45 minutes.
- In a dutch oven sweat onions, carrots, celery, and garlic.
- Add roasted butternut squash and chicken stock to the pot.
- Puree in a high-speed blender and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, Pepita seeds, and crema.
- Roast butternut squash in the oven. Roasting your squash brings out the natural sweetness!
- Experiment with the garnishes. Curry powder, candied nuts, and coconut are a few different types of garnishes you could use.
- If your soup is too thick, add more stock until your desired thickness. The recipe calls for a 3# of butternut squash. If your squash is a bit larger, you may need to add a bit more stock.
- Double or triple the recipe, and make a large batch of soup. Once the soup is cooled down, portion into quart containers and freeze for soup all fall long!
Frequently asked questions
Is this recipe vegan?
No, I use chicken stock in this recipe, but you can easily substitute vegetable stock to make it vegan.
How long will the soup keep?
It will last for one week in the refrigerator. I like to make a large batch and freeze it, so I have soup all fall long.
Can I add different spices and flavors to the soup?
Absolutely! This is a traditional butternut squash recipe. Try adding curry, apple, and ginger to this soup.
What's the best way to roast butternut squash?
There is no best way, but I am happy to tell you about two different ways. In this recipe, I peel, cut, and roast the squash. Another way is to cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, brush it with olive oil and roast it.Print
Simple homemade healthy creamy butternut squash soup with sage, chicken stock garlic, celery, and carrots for a delicious fall flavor!
- Peel and cut butternut squash into 1-inch pieces. Toss squash with 1 tablespoon of melted ghee in a large bowl. Spread on a parchment-lined baking tray and roast at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of ghee in a dutch oven and sweat onions, carrots, celery, and garlic for 5 minutes. Add roasted squash, sage, and chicken stock to your dutch oven. Simmer on medium-low for 30 minutes.
- Purée in a high-speed blender and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds, pomegranate seeds, and pumpkin seed crema.
There is no need to chop the garlic. Use the back of your knife to smash the garlic. Everything is blended at the end.
Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the squash. You can chop the squash or roast it whole.
Sweating vegetables: Cook in a little bit of fat at a low temperature without adding color.
Keywords: butternut squash soup, soup, butternut squash, health creamy butternut squash soup