This smooth and tangy homemade paleo mayo is so delicious! You will want to spread it on everything! Avocado oil, vinegar, lemon, mustard, and eggs blend to create the best paleo mayo!
Gone are the days of adding sugar to mayo. What is the purpose of sugar in mayo anyways? This recipe is Whole30, keto, and paleo-approved.
I use this homemade mayo in sauces for my Ranch Dressing, Whole30 Dynamite Shrimp, and the Whole30 Southwestern Salmon Cakes.
The problem with the majority of store-bought mayo is the use of vegetable oils. They are packed with omega-6 fats, which are no Bueno! The fats are heated then oxidized, increasing inflammation in the body.
With the use of an immersion blender, this recipe is quick and easy! Just dump everything in, oil included into a large mouth mason jar, and blend. In just 5 minutes, you will have your very own homemade mayo, and the clean-up is a breeze.
When I use to work in professional kitchens, running out of mayo was not an option. Most restaurants use pre-made mayo but never tell the chef you are out. With the use of eggs, and oil you will have mayo. So I encourage you to make your own homemade mayo. It's quick, easy, and you should have all the ingredients on hand.
What you need to make this recipe
- Avocado oil - A healthy neutral-tasting oil and a good replacement for vegetable oils.
- White wine vinegar- Light and delicate in flavor.
- Lemon - Gives the Mayo some tang!
- Mustard powder - Made from ground mustard seeds. Give's the mayo a nice bite!
- Eggs - Combined with oil creates mayo.
- Salt - Flavor!
How to make homemade paleo mayo
- Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, eggs, and salt in a large mouth mason jar.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until mayo is thick and creamy.
- Refrigerate in mason jar for up to 1 week.
- Use an immersion blender. Clean up is so easy and quick.
- Buy a neutral oil like avocado oil. Stay away from stronger oils like extra virgin olive oil. It can make your mayo bitter and overpowering.
- Move the stick blender up and down. The ingredients will incorporate faster and more evenly if you move the stick up and down.
- Label and date. What is this mystery white sauce in my refrigerator? Also, dating lets you know how fast to go through your mayo.
Frequently asked questions
Can I buy an avocado mayo at the store?
Yes! I like the chosen foods band at Costco. There will come a day when you need mayo, and you're out. When that day comes, whip up this quick 5-minute mayo recipe.
I don't have an immersion blender, can I use a food processor?
Absolutely! Combine all the ingredients except for the oil and blend. Then slowly drizzle oil until everything comes together. The clean-up for a food processor has you washing a lot of parts. I like an immersion blender better.
Why is avocado oil healthy?
How much time do you have? We could talk all day about the health benefits, but let me condense it down. The oil is pressed from the pulp of an avocado. It contains oleic acid and monounsaturated fats. These fats have been shown in studies to raise HDL, the good cholesterol.
5-Minute Homemade Paleo Mayo
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup avocado oil
- In a large mouth mason jar, add in the egg, salt, mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, and oil.
- Take an immersion stick blender, and blend until thick and creamy. Move the blender up and down to incorporate faster. Refrigerate for up to one week.
Leave a Reply